Personal Injury FAQ


If you or a family member experiences an injury, you can benefit from speaking to a Roanoke personal injury lawyer at Skolrood Law Firm today. Often, the insurance company for the person who caused the injury will try to settle with you before you have an opportunity to retain an attorney. The reason for this is that the insurance company knows it can probably settle the case for less money if you do not have a lawyer. 

We will investigate your case and obtain the necessary witness statements, documents, photographs, and other materials to protect your rights.

How much will Skolrood Law Firm charge?

At Skolrood Law Firm:

  • There is no charge for your first visit or telephone call. All your questions will be answered, and there is no obligation.
  • We never charge a fee unless we obtain a recovery for you. Our fee is a percentage of your recovery.
  • We will advance all costs for investigators, experts, filing fees, and other expenses associated with obtaining the maximum recovery possible.
  • If a recovery is not made, you pay nothing.
  • We do not charge any fee for helping you settle your claim for damage to your vehicle.

Will I meet with a lawyer?

Yes. At the initial consultation, a lawyer will be available to speak and meet with you. Throughout the remainder of our representation, a lawyer and a legal assistant will be involved in the handling of your claim.

What if I can’t travel?

If your injury prevents you from traveling to our office, an attorney from Skolrood Law Firm will meet with you at your home, the hospital, or any meeting place you designate.

Are you really available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?

Yes. Our law firm is staffed so that a Skolrood Law Firm employee can be reached 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If appropriate, this employee can contact a firm attorney at any time. We are ready, willing, and able to discuss a claim with you 24/7.

Will I have to go to court?

Not necessarily. If the insurance company for the person who caused the injury is willing to volunteer a fair settlement, you do not have to bring a lawsuit in order to obtain a recovery. We are skilled at negotiating settlements without filing a lawsuit. In the event the insurance company is not willing to negotiate fairly, we will then proceed with filing a lawsuit, if you so desire.

Who may bring an action for damages in a personal injury case?

A competent adult who is age 18 or older, and injured, must bring the lawsuit in his or her name. A minor or an incompetent adult must have a suit brought either by parents or a court-appointed guardian.

How much money is my case worth?

Your case is worth either what we tell the insurance company it is worth or the amount of an award granted by a judge and jury. We examine all conditions surrounding your case to arrive at a figure we believe the insurance company must pay for your injuries. These conditions include how the injury or car accident happened, what injuries you suffered, future medical problems, the amount of medical expenses and lost income, future medical costs, and future loss of income. We study every detail so we can get you the money you deserve for your injuries.

How long do I have to bring a case?

You must file your case within the statute of limitations—a fixed period of time dictated by the law. In many cases, you are required to bring your case within two years from the date of the event that caused the injury. For an explanation of these time limits, always consult with an attorney experienced in these matters.

May I change attorneys?

You have the right to change lawyers; however, your initial attorney will usually be entitled to payment for services rendered up to the time of dismissal. The lawyer will be paid from the fee earned at the conclusion of the case. Your new lawyer will usually work out an arrangement to split the fee between the two lawyers.

Should I get a second opinion if an attorney thinks I do not have a case?

Yes. Different lawyers will see a potential case differently. Some lawyers may not be familiar with the type of case you have. If a lawyer rejects your case, it is always a good idea to seek a second opinion.

I was injured but may have been partly at fault. Can I still sue?

Yes. Under Virginia’s negligence rules, you may still have a case even though you were partly at fault in causing an accident. These cases are very fact-specific, and you should consult with a lawyer.

An insurance adjustor wants to settle and says I do not need a lawyer. Should I get one?

Remember, the adjustor works for the insurance company. They have one goal: to settle your case for the least amount of money possible. What may seem like a fair offer to you could fall far short of any amount of money settled through a lawyer. It is a good idea to consult with an attorney at Skolrood Law Firm before accepting any offer made to you by an insurance company.

Will my insurance rates go up if I pursue a claim or obtain a recovery?

No. Based on the information insurance agents and insurance carriers provide us, simply because an injured person pursues a claim does not mean their insurance premium will be increased. It is when a person’s negligent or wrongful acts cause injury that their own insurance premiums are increased.


If you’ve been injured, contact a Roanoke personal injury attorney at Skolrood Law Firm. We have offices in Roanoke and Lynchburg and have successfully handled cases throughout Virginia. Complete a free online consultation form, or call (800) 477-5480, and talk to a member of our team. We want to help you get started with your claim now.