Roanoke Wrongful Death Lawyer
Providing Families Support and Justice in Central and South Virginia
Skolrood Law Firm can help you understand the laws governing Virginia wrongful death claims.
Wrongful death claims can result in the surviving family getting compensated for the loss and damages they suffer. The Roanoke wrongful death lawyers at Skolrood Law Firm can help you understand the laws governing Virginia wrongful death claims and how they relate to your potential case.
Three Key Factors
For example, Virginia residents must prove these three things in order to file a wrongful death suit:
- The loved one died because someone was negligent or something (such as a car or piece of equipment) was defective.
- The wrongful act, defect, or negligence would have entitled the deceased victim to file a personal injury claim had he/she only been injured, not killed. (Va. Code § 8.01-50(A))
- The death has caused financial damage to the family.
Skolrood Law Firm will evaluate your potential wrongful death case according to these and other laws. Then we will determine the damages you may be owed. We’ll take care of the legal details so you can focus on moving forward.
Types of Damages
Wrongful death cases can pursue several types of damages depending on the individual situation. Some forms of damages, like lost income, can easily be measured, while others like emotional loss and suffering are harder to measure. Typical examples of types of damages pursued in wrongful death cases include:
- expenses such as funeral costs and hospital/medical bills
- lost benefits from the loved one’s pension or retirement plan
- lost future earnings of the lost family member
- lost companionship
- punitive damages, which are sometimes awarded by juries as a punishment for the person responsible for the death
Sometimes, calculating the damages for a wrongful death case can be difficult on the jury as well as the family. That’s why it’s important to have an experienced wrongful death attorney handling your case. Skolrood Law Firm is experienced in preparing and trying wrongful death cases. We know how to get the information and evidence crucial to protecting your family’s rights, and we won’t stop until we’ve done all we can do.
Get Help From Skolrood
If you’ve lost a loved one due to someone else’s wrongdoing, contact a Roanoke wrongful death lawyer at Skolrood Law Firm. We have offices in Roanoke and Lynchburg and have successfully handled cases throughout Virginia. Day or night, our 24/7 legal team wants to help you begin your claim.
Whether you’ve suffered a medical mistake or need a Roanoke nursing home abuse lawyer, we are here for you. Complete a free online consultation form , or call (800) 477-5480, and talk to a member of our team.